29 Mar 2019
Sugar is an amazing beauty ingredient. It softens your skin, exfoliates and freshens it. Sugar scrubs work to exfoliate, hydrate and moisturise your skin naturally. Sugar is a natural moisturiser which can prevent your skin from drying, improve the blood flow to the surface of the skin and help remove dead cells.
Sugar is also a source of glycolic acid and is used in various skin-care products. Products containing glycolic acid are used to treat scarring, skin discoloration, fine lines and wrinkles.
Sugar scrubs are easily made at home and can be included in your weekly beauty regime.
Sugar Scrub Ingredients
- 1 cup granulated sugar (raw, white or brown)
- ½ cup of carrier oil
- essential oils of your preference (optional)
- 1 airtight jar
What to do...
- Mix ingredients together
- Spoon into airtight jar
- Use a spoon, popstick, or tiny spatula to spoon out mixture
- Do not get water into the jar, because it could introduce bacteria
- Use the sugar scrub about twice per week
When choosing a sugar to use in your scrub, consider the following:
- Brown sugar is softer than granulated sugar, better for sensitive skin
- Raw sugar is coarse, so usually for body use
- Do a small patch test if you aren't sure how your skin will react
- If your skin requires something a little gentler, grind the sugar finer (in a pessle or with a rolling pin)